Today I had my first day of Art History. My professor took us to see the Basilica di Santa Croce. It is the principle Franciscan Church in Florence. It was built in the 1200s and it full of amazing art and history. Michelangelo, Machiavelli, and Galileo's tombs are all found within the main area of worship of the church. There is also a tribute to Dante, as well as a massive statue of Dante outside the church in the piazza. The pictures will be able to do a much better job explaining this beautiful place than I can.
Last night CAPA (the program I am studying with) took the entire school out to dinner. We had a full course Italian meal at an amazing Italian restaurant complete with 6 antipasto dishes, 3 pasta dishes, amazing chocolate cake, and delicious red and white wines. Needless to say, we could barely move after we finished the meal. The most surprising, but delicious, dish I had was prosciutto and cantelope. It was so sweet and salty and melted in your mouth in an interestingly delicious way. I highly recommend this unique combination. We spent almost 5 hours at the dinner, drinking, eating, and ejoying each other's company. It was a great night.
Tomorrow night we leave for the Amalfi Coast for a long 3.5 day weekend. I will be sure to post pictures of this amazing place.
Rather than continue to put just a few pictures up here, I have created a Flickr website where all of my pictures can be viewed. You can view all of my Florence pictures here: pictures
Can not believe you have only been there 5 days, you have seen so many beautiful sites. Love the pictures!!
ReplyDeleteMom
Jenna, on your trip to the Amalfi Coast, if you can, make sure you see the "Grotto Azzura" out on Capri.
ReplyDelete